Deadly Attack on Passenger Convoy in Kurram Leaves 11 Dead
Gunmen Ambush Passenger Convoy in Kurram: 11 Killed, Survivors Recount Horrifying Moments

In Kurram, an attack on a convoy of passengers resulted in the deaths of 11 individuals. “The attackers were numerous and had surrounded the road,” recounted Muhammad Tahir, a survivor of the assault in the Kunj Alizai area of Upper Kurram. “They opened fire directly on our flying coach (passenger van). When the shooting started, I closed my eyes and recited the Kalma, thinking that survival was impossible for anyone, including myself. After a long time, when the gunfire ceased and I opened my eyes, I saw injured women, children, and men around me.”
Tahir explained that their convoy consisted of four vehicles. They were residents of Maqbal, who had attended a relative’s funeral nearby the day before. “On Saturday morning around 9 AM, when we reached Kunj Alizai, armed men blocked our path,” he said.
According to police in Upper Kurram, the first incident of firing and clashes occurred yesterday within the jurisdiction of the Roza police station, followed by a second incident this morning, which involved an attack on passenger vehicles. The police reported that “indiscriminate” gunfire was directed at the convoy, which included multiple passengers and private vehicles.

It is noted that in Kurram district, all types of travel are conducted under police security in the form of passenger convoys. The recent violence marks the third incident of this nature in the last three months, all resulting in heavy casualties.
Previously, tribal clashes erupted in the last week of September over a dispute regarding the construction of minor fortifications, escalating into conflict among eight different tribes in four locations within the district.
Kurram is among the oldest tribal areas in the country, established during British rule in the 1890s, leading to the commencement of land distribution.
Following these incidents, tensions are high in the region, and security forces have deployed to the area. Nine injured individuals were transported to the district headquarters hospital, one of whom succumbed to injuries, while 10 bodies were also received at the hospital.
Tahir further described, “When we arrived in Kunj Alizai, the driver suddenly shouted that the road was blocked. Everyone felt the threat acutely, but I thought that since a security vehicle was present, we would be safe.” However, he noted that the attackers were significantly more in number and had completely surrounded the road.

“They were all armed with Kalashnikovs, and some had heavier weapons,” Tahir said. When the attackers began firing indiscriminately, he shouted for everyone to duck. “Those who got down were the ones who survived.”
He continued, “I don’t know how long the shooting lasted; it felt like they were still firing as they fled. When the gunfire stopped, I opened my eyes and looked up to see people injured everywhere. Some had already lost their lives. It felt like the end of the world.”
According to an eyewitness, Tasleem Anwar, who was nearby when the shooting began, “When the gunfire stopped, I rushed to the scene with some people and saw bodies scattered from a flying coach and three smaller vehicles.” He reported that one car contained two deceased individuals lying on the road.
The local administration and police informed the BBC that they had received reports of gunfire in the Kunj Alizai mountains before the second incident, but no evidence has yet been confirmed regarding those claims.
Niaz Muhammad, a local resident and member of a peace committee, described the incident as tragic, stating, “We had only recently established peace, and this event is a serious warning.” He suggested that the incident seemed to have been fueled by rumors spreading on social media about alleged shootings that occurred previously in Kunj Alizai.
Maqbal Union Council Chairman Muhammad Imran remarked, “Following recent unrest, routes were opened for the first time in a long time, and now we have faced another incident that has completely closed those routes again. It is the responsibility of the government, police, and administration to bring those responsible for terrorism to justice.”
While funerals have taken place in Maqbal, the community remains agitated. Imran stressed, “We are striving to establish peace, but true peace can only be achieved when justice is served and terrorism is not tolerated.”
Kurram district police and administration are currently investigating the incidents and are committed to restoring peace along the roads.
